Apple, pear, pecan nuts, walnuts, beetroot, strawberries and mint are all my no.1 ingredients to combine with blue cheese. Better yet a fennel and apple salad to compliment summer. Fennel’s taste is similar to anise and mixes up well with the combination of mint and cilantro.
I am not a big fan of store bought dressings and sauces, so I prefer to make my own. Its easy to dress a salad with some olive oil and a vinegar, but if you want to make something special, there is a basic guideline that you can follow:
1 oil + something acidic + flavor and/or spices
I used olive oil + lemon juice and lemon zest + apple and mint. I extracted the juice with my juicer. If you don’t have a juicer, you can also use a blender. In the case that you do not have either, you can grate the apple and the lemon, squeeze out the lemon juice and shake it up together with the olive oil and some cut pieces of mint.
Link to read about the benefits of apple juice here
Beetroot is a nutrient that stimulates and detoxifies your liver function. They are a good source of vitamins A + C. Although beets are high in sugar, they release the energy slowly. which makes them a great source of energy. Also they defend against bruising and they aid in muscle recovery after doing exercise.
- 2 beetroot, cut into wedges
- 1 small candy striped beetroot or any other
- 2 tbsp pumpkin + sunflower seeds, roasted.
- 3 green apples
- 1 lemon
- 50ml olive oil
- 1 cup washed mint leaves
- 11/2 washed cup cilantro
- 1 washed fennel bulb with the fennel flowers
- 75g blue cheese or gorgonzola crumbed into pieces
- 3 tbsp pecan nuts
- Place the oven on 180 degrees Celsius and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Coat the beetroot wedges with olive oil and roast covered for 20 mins. Uncover and roast for a further 15 mins. To roast the pumpkin seeds, add them to the beetroot wedges for the last 5 minutes in the oven. Remove and let to cool.
- To make the dressing; extract the juice of 1½ apple,1 lemon and a few twigs of mint to make the dressing. Add the olive oil to the finished juice. Set the dressing aside.
- For the salad chop the fennel bulb, remaining apple and candy striped beetroot into very fine slithers. Add the cilantro and the mint and mix it up together in a mixing bowl. While mixing the ingredients, add some of the dressing, to dress the salad.
- Add the roasted beetroot, blue cheese crumbs and pecan nuts just before you serve the salad.
- Decorate the salad with the fennel leaf flowers and serve with the dressing.